Skipr's Reviews > The Creed: What Christians Believe and Why it Matters

The Creed by Luke Timothy Johnson

U_50x66
Aug 29, 12

Read from May 26 to August 27, 2012 — I own a copy

Southern Baptists are supposed to be "anti-creeds," but I confess, I'm a big fan of the historic creeds of the church. They encapsulate much of what I believe and remind me of how much we "non-creedal" Christians have in common with those who do embrace the Apostles' and Nicene creeds.

So, I've greatly enjoyed Luke Timothy Johnson's book, The Creed. Johnson not only gives the historical background and context and explains what the Nicene Creed means - he "preaches" the Creed in this book in a way that encourages believers.

I've been a fan of Johnson since I read his The Real Jesus about ten years ago. That book is a winsome defense of the person of Jesus Christ presented in the New Testament, and a devastating critique of "The Jesus Seminar" participants who somehow think they know better than the writers of the New Testament who Jesus was and is.

Johnson gives evangelicals like myself another reason to appreciate our Catholic brothers and sisters who embrace The Church's (Big C) claim that Jesus is Lord.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Creed.