Nicole Hewitt's Reviews > The Mind Thieves

The Mind Thieves by Lori Brighton

May 26, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I liked this book, but I actually preferred the first book in the series. My main issue with the story is that the first three-quarters of The Mind Thieves felt very much like a repeat of The Mind Readers. Once again, Cameron finds herself among strangers who claim to be helping her but who she's not sure she can trust. Once again, she's struggling to sort out her feelings for the man who "saved" her. The new group that she is stuck with feels VERY much like the first group who held her. Even the big reveal at the end of the book feels like a re-do of the reveal at the end of the first book and so it doesn't feel very shocking. I also thought that there was a little too much verbatim quoting of The Mind Readers (when Cameron is recovering her memories, the author literally just pastes in text from the first book to show what she's remembering - this happens quite often). I might not have minded so much if I hadn't just read the first book, but I think that she could have had shorter flashes that just reminded you of what happened without actually having us relive them with her.

Still, overall, I enjoyed the book. It was very fast-paced and action packed. There were definitely some surprises and you were often left guessing about who Cameron should trust. In my opinion, the second half of the book was better than the first (especially the last quarter or so of the book because that's when it differentiated from the first book more). I will definitely be watching for the third and (assumably) final book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mind Thieves.