Darkfallen's Reviews > Beautiful Lies

Aug 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc, netgalley-reviewed, read-n-reviewed
Read from August 01 to 07, 2012

I have to say that the synopsis of this book reeled me in right away. I was so super excited to get my hands on an ARC of this book, and couldn't wait to start reading. After I started reading it though my enthusiasm waned a bit.

You start off meeting twins Alice and Rachel. And like most twins they are very different from each other except for their looks. Alice is the artistic trouble making, while Rachel is the rational book smart girl. So when Alice goes missing after a carnival it comes as no surprise to their aunt and uncle, but Rachel is panicking. She knows something is different this time, because Rachel has a secret. Can Rachel keep her secrets and find her sister? Or will holding on to all these lies be the death of her?

I will say that has the story unfolds I felt sorry for Alice more and more. All the secrets and lies that everyone was keeping from her, and the way she found them out, broke my heart. It did take a long while to get into this story though. I blame that on the writing style. This book is loaded with so many run on sentences that it's hard to read. In spots it even makes it boring, when in fact there isn't anything boring about this story. I think breaking up all the run on sentences could really make this story more enjoyable. Still I loved Alice and there is a twist at the end that brought tears to my eyes, and completely shocked me. It also made me a little mad that it didn't end the way I was hoping it would.

Overall this was a good story that makes you think. You can't help but try to figure out what is going on and the suspense is never ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Lies.