Quiana's Reviews > In a Celandine World

May 26, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery, the-fae
Read in May, 2012

In a Celandine World by Catherine Thorpe was an interesting read. There was mystery, magic, and enough lore to keep my attention from beginning to end. The author had an unique take on some lore that’s existed for many years, but I won’t go into what type of lore, because I don’t want to spoil the book for anyone. It was a little slow at times, but the mysteries surrounding the plot and its’ characters kept me reading.

The characters were quirky, Willow in particular. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered a heroine like her in any of the books I’ve read. She spent a good portion of the book questioning her sanity; I admit, I questioned her sanity as well. I spent a fair amount of my time trying to make sense of her and the world she inhabited. I never got a feel for who she truly was as a person; the same can be said for some of the other characters.

We were given glimpses of who the characters were, even some back story, but nothing in-depth enough to make me feel an emotional connection to most of them, in particular Willow’s love interest Boon. However, there was one character I really did like, Hugh. I was immediately drawn to him upon his introduction into the story. There was something about his mannerisms and charm that appealed to me. Overall, I found him to be the most interesting character. In fact, he would have made a much better love interest for Willow than the rather flat Boon.

I was a little disappointed with the ending; it was too abrupt. There was so much mystery, and so many questions; unfortunately, nothing was truly answered until the very last section of the book. As a result, too much information was given to the reader all at once. Also, the way certain information was revealed to Willow was a letdown.

All in all, I give In a Celandine World two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Celandine World.