Maya's Reviews > The Cost of Discipleship

The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Aug 02, 12

Read from May 26 to July 25, 2012

This is a tough read. It was worth pushing on through to gather some good chunks of Bonhoeffer's writing and perspective but his writing takes some time to get used to and is by no means a "quick read."

A mentor suggested reading this book to get a perspective on how to handle someone who is openly going against what they believe and refuses to turn their ways. I did like what Bonhoeffer had to say in regards to this subject throughout the book and the loving ways that you can guide a person in that type of situation.

Overall, the focus of the book is how one can give up their lives to live as a disciple, focused on the things of God only. It's a deep, academic, reflection and a very honest and clear cut view.

Some of my favorite parts:
-Costly grace is the only pure grace, which really forgives sins and gives freedom to the sinner.

-Worldly possessions tend to turn the hearts of the disciples away from Jesus. What are we really devoted to? That is the question.

-Is there some part of your life which you are refusing to surrender at his behest, some sinful passion, maybe, or some animosity, some hope, perhaps your ambition or your reason? If so, you must not be surprised that you have no received the Holy Spirit, that prayer is difficult, or that your request for faith remains unanswered. Go rather and be reconciled with your brother, renounce the sin which holds you fast - and then you will recover your faith!

-Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost of Discipleship.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail In a week where the headlines are filled with this whole Chick-fil-A brouhaha, that last line is particularly meaningful. (And love the one right before it too!)