cecilia's Reviews > Black Night

Black Night by Christina Henry

May 26, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

Even though it is Book 2 of a series, BLACK NIGHT works well as a standalone – and I did not too overwhelmed by the backstory that I could not enjoy the present dangers for Maddy and company. Too often I find urban fantasies with badass heroines who delivers cute yet overly girlish one-liners, and I was pleasantly surprised to find Maddy more of a wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am type of girl who would rather engage in a pissing contest with the faerie queen and not obsess over her missing bodyguard to the point where she is utterly useless. There was a forbidden romance story arc, but it did not dominate Maddy’s entire attention.

I mentioned earlier that BLACK NIGHT can be enjoyed as a standalone. What happens in BLACK NIGHT, stays mostly in BLACK NIGHT. However, I do get the impression that there is an underlying current of trouble that is slowly building to a crescendo for the entire series. Which means that reading from the beginning BLACK WINGS and continuing with the rest of the series will only bring Maddy and company closer to whatever devious plans Lucifer has in store for them. I had been hoping to learn what it means for Maddy to be an “agent of death,” but it does not seem to come into play in BLACK NIGHT. Which only means that I will have to check out Book 1 to learn more about it :)

I think Christina Henry has created a smart and action-packed series that will appeal to a more bloodthirsty reader. Fans of Lilith Saintcrow’s Dante Valentine series will be thrilled for a new series to devour and a favorite new heroine to kick some demon butt. I am hoping that BLACK HOWL will bring the Maddy-Gabriel relationship into the spotlight, especially since these two were left with an awfully sticky situation that definitely changes the playing field.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Night.