Franjessca 's Reviews > In the Service of the King

In the Service of the King by Laura Kaye

May 31, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, author-laura-kaye, paranormal-romance, vampire-warrior-kings-series
Read from May 29 to 30, 2012

Review also posted on Book Lovin' Mamas
I finished this book and now want more of this series. Thank goodness the next book comes out June 1st. =) I'm a HUGE fan of Vampires and the Series name alone "Vampire Warrior Kings" definitely had me intrigued to read "In the Service of the King".
The cover helps also. =)
Kale is the Warrior King of the Vampires. He is forced to participate in the night of proferring even though he doesn't want to. He lost his mate centuries ago and he has never wanted another mate or even be with a Proferred. Proferred is a human woman that offers her blood for the service of the king and other things...so he can keep his humanity and help his kind. Shayla McKinnon is chosen as Kael's Proferred. When Kael meets her, he is instantly enthralled. He doesn't want to be though. He misses his mate, but for some reason he can't stop thinking that Shayla could be destined for him. Shayla is happy to help the King, she's thought about this day for awhile now. She wants to avenge her sister's death that happened awhile ago and she always wanted to be there to help the Vampire Warrior King in anyway possible.
Everything is going wrong though, she's being the perfect submissive, but Kael is being standoffish at first and then something happens, which makes her think it's her fault. He does things to her, she wasn't really expecting.
I do not want to go any further into telling the book because I'll spoil the good parts. Instead, I'll tell you my thoughts on this book. I loved it!! Have I said that already? I had a hard time putting it down. I'm intrigued over Vampires. I don't think I'll have stop reading about them. To come across this book through Laura Kaye's Street Team, I just had to read it. I would've finished it within a hour, but motherly duties and college homework took precedence several times yesterday.
I love the concept of this series. Kael is one difficult Vampire Warrior King though in the beginning. It took him awhile to realize what his destiny was. I loved Shayla and how she tried everything to win over Kael. She was the prefect Proferred for him. She was trained to be the perfect Proferred and I think it scared Kael a bit at first.
I loved the steamy scenes between them both. I had to re-read them sometimes because I wanted to drag out the book a little longer because I didn't want it to end and of course the best parts to re-read is the scenes between the characters. Oh yes!
I found it fascinating to read the Gaelic (Irish) language even though I do not understand it. I will have to learn it now (I am part Irish). Maybe one day I'll visit Ireland and I'll probably never come back to the States. =)
I loved reading about the mating at the end of the book. Definitely different to any other matings I've read in other books.
I look forward to reading the next book when it comes out tomorrow. I will be buying it and reading it as soon as I get up in the morning.
I recommend this book to vampire lovers out there, to paranormal romance readers, and readers who just want to take a trip through Ireland with this delicious Vampire Warrior King.
I found myself reading in a Irish accent when I read Kael's part of some reason, once I realized this book was based in Ireland. It's a habit I can't break. =)
This is a must read so add it to your TBR list. =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Service of the King.

05/29/2012