Hannah (Jaedia)'s Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Jul 08, 13

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, young-adult, fairy-tales, received-for-review, favourites
Read from May 30 to June 03, 2012

Originally posted on Once Upon A Time.

Argh.. Trying to sum up my thoughts on Thone of Glass is the equivalent to attempting to review Harry Potter.. This one swiftly became a new favourite because it's just that good. Need more? Well okay.

I believe the word "unputdownable" was created for this very book. I was completely lost to the world while I was reading it and even for a few days after, when I couldn't possibly read anything else, I wouldn't shut up about it. Can I put my finger on what's so good about Throne of Glass? What gives it that special spark that has me raving about it this much? Not at all. But I can tell you that I can't think of a single fault with the story or the writing. Language is used so gracefully to set this wonderful atmosphere. "Still, the image haunted his dreams throughout the night: a lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back." So much creativity, imagination and love has gone into this novel. That is crystal clear.

Celaena is badass. She's the world's deadliest assassin and has survived as a slave for a year where other people only survive a few months at best. She's strong-willed and clever, though underneath her hard exterior she is extremely vulnerable. She may be a killer but she is a very sympathetic character and the best part about the characterisation for me is the significant lack of angst, despite the hardships the characters go through.

Still not sold? I'm convinced this book is perfect for anybody who enjoys fantasy. There's a very sweet love interest, though it isn't overbearing and thus doesn't overpower the story. There's some dark goings on with harbingers of ancient evil. There's a competition between less-than-moral people to become the King's unquestioning champion. There's action. There's an actual kickass heroine (*gasp*). There's a glass castle. And there are dogs. It's so utterly immersive that you will find yourself having to set alarms so as not to completely lose track of time while reading, and this might be the first book in years that I have actually shouted at when it came to an end. I'll certainly be purchasing the e-novellas soon.

Before you read this book you may be interested in a pronunciation guide for a handful of character and place names. I found it very helpful, personally. I hope you enjoy Throne of Glass even half as much as I did! If you don't pick it up, expect a book bully to be on your tail very soon.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Quotes Hannah (Jaedia) Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”
Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass

Sarah J. Maas
“After a too-long moment, the crown prince spoke. "I don't quite comprehend why you'd force someone to bow when the purpose of the gesture is to display allegiance and respect." His words were coated with glorious boredom.”
Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass

05/31/2012 page 140
34.0% "Love love love LOVING this so far! Already started book bullying people (including the library *cough*) to read this one and it's not released until August!! Can hardly manage to put it down. Wish it didn't have to end!"
06/01/2012 page 200
48.0% "Still can't put it down, it's only getting better the more I read. Gonna have to get hold of the novellas!"
06/03/2012 page 348
84.0% "Almost finished :("
06/19/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/19/2013 page 9
2.0% "Started re-reading last night. Just as good as I remember but does it matter how beautiful she is?"
07/08/2013 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kara-karina Looks like you were just as excited as I was! :)))

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

An aside about this book which i have acquired on your recommendation. The blue and white cover to me is very interesting and makes me wonder what the book is about, in a store i would investigate. The cover withthe blonde girl on it looking out does nothign for me and i would pass it over without another glance.

Hannah (Jaedia) You should see the back cover of the UK edition, really awesome. :)