Lisa's Reviews > The Choice

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

May 26, 12

bookshelves: fiction

we recently started a reading group up here in the mountains...and we were given a list of books that were in bulk for reading groups to chose from, and this was one of the books. im not really a fan of Nicholas Sparks, so i wasnt that thrilled to start it, especially when i had a stack of books sitting on my nightstand that seemed sooo much more interesting. i was feeling the pressure to finish this book, all for the sake of a book club, which it turns out, i wasnt going to be able to make the meeting anyways. Alas, i trudged on and finished the book. It had some fun moments, but i had a hard time tolerating the main character, as i found her completely annoying. Every time she opened her mouth, she made an ass of herself, and it became old hat! Im sure the book was doomed to me from the start with my preconceived opinion of the author and the typical depressing "Oprah" books...but i really tried to shake that opinion while i read it. As i said, i did not make the meeting, but the women all had a very average opinion of the book, so it seems we were all on the same page :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Choice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (new)

Tricia I usually stay away from anything Nicholas Sparks. Mediocre at best. His characters are almost always annoying, IMO. :)

message 2: by Lisa (last edited May 30, 2012 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa i usually stay away from them too Tricia...but was excited to participate in a new book club up here (as you can imagine, we dont have a lot of clubs or activities going on), but i cringed when i heard what the book choice was. No worries, i think we all felt the same way about the book, so perhaps they'll pick something totally different next time :)

message 3: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Do you get to vote on books or offer suggestions? I've always been afraid to join a book club because I'm afraid they'll make me read chick lit! LOL