Bookreaderljh's Reviews > Plain Truth

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

May 26, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read in May, 2012

I really like Jodi Picoult novels for light reading. Her stories are character driven and hard to classify. Is this a story of family and relationships - a legal thriller - a foray into the world of the Amish - a ghost story? It's all of those and that is why I liked it though it was the legal thriller that kept me reading quickly as I like to see how things will turn out in the end. But truly this was a book about the importance of family and making connections in the face of loss. I learned a lot about the Amish culture which made the ending a little difficult to fathom. I knew throughout someone else was involved but the last chapter was a kick in the pants. Jodi Picoult also writes very strong characters and Ellie probably changed/improved the most of anyone - but of course she still saved the day. The others were actually pretty steadfast - but the reader learned more and more about them in detail as the story progressed. Not sure how the ghost story really fit in except as a means of uniting two characters for an important plot point - but then again maybe we are all driven by the ghosts of our pasts whether we can see them or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plain Truth.