Marilee Brothers's Reviews > A Gate at the Stairs

A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

Jun 04, 12

Read from May 26 to June 02, 2012

Okay, if you’re bubbling over with joy and happiness and would like to dial it down a notch, this book will do the job. In fact, it might send you spiraling into depression. Not much of a recommendation, is it? The main character, Tassie Keltjin, tells the story and, I swear, she made me crazy. It’s like she didn’t know which thread to pick up and see through until the end. The book received rave reviews so maybe I just didn’t get it. First, we have college student Tassie hiring on as a nanny for a dysfunctional couple who adopt a bi-racial two-year-old. Tassie and the child bond. Big time. It’s beautiful. It’s touching. Then, the child is removed from the home. Does Tassie mourn? Who knows? We don’t hear about the kid from that point on. She also has a relationship with a guy who turns out to be a Jihadist. The third plot element involves herer younger brother, Robert, who desperately needs her advice. She ignores his email. He joins the military and is killed by a roadside bomb. At his funeral, she climbs in the coffin with him. Oh, please! So, if you’re into a meandering plot with bizarre twists, go for it. That said, Morgan does write lovely, lyrical prose. It may be worth reading for that alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gate at the Stairs.