Dale Pearl's Reviews > Flesh Eaters

Flesh Eaters by Alisha Adkins

May 27, 12

Read from May 26 to 28, 2012

Bizarre, disturbing, unique, grotesque, haunting all come to mind with this one. Not sure if I liked the story or not,however, it disturbed me enough to stay with me long after the reading part was done. That I believe is the greatest compliment that I can give to any writer.
The story breaks apart in places. for example, the immediacy to get to the point of eating zombie flesh when 1) a person has at least a couple of weeks of starvation in them before human flesh would be considered a sane option for the typical human soul. 2) no attempt was made or at least mentioned at eating grass,plant material, wild animals (such as cats,dogs,squirrels,etc...) 3) not until the middle part of the book does the notion come into play to leave the city to look for food in good ole mother nature. (by this point in time everyone has watched at least one episode of Man Vs. Wild)
Another breakdown at least in my mindset is anyone willing to so quickly adopt to eating human flesh isn't going to be so attached to a young person that they don't even know from Birth. Ailene's attachment to Timmy seems fabricated with no substance to really bound them together except for survival and if they are already resorting to eating human flesh then it would be simply be a matter of survival of the fittest in the frame work of the mind.

It would have be nice to know how she got to England. Interesting twist in that we know more how it is going to end than we got to know how it all began.

I see potential in her writing and would like to read more of Alisha Adkins work in the near future. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of zombie material.

This work doesn't go into the whole dystopian/post apocalyptic model for a literary work since the world is not quite formed enough to know how to label it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flesh Eaters.