Stacy's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

May 26, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read on May 26, 2012

I received this book free from Goodreads First Reads (thanks!)

Simple, beautiful, and painful, but with such a hopeful ending that I had to debate whether to type this up now (while still teary eyed) or to wait for it to settle and try in the morning.

Wonderfully paced, with alternating chapters between Victoria's present and the year+ she spent with the one woman who wanted to be a mother to her. Your heart breaks with every wrong turn, every missed chance, every forgiveness not offered or not taken. After seeing what the foster system has made of Victoria, you have to wing a little prayer of thanksgiving to every family that's ever opened their hearts to take these poor children in and given them something positive to take away.

(view spoiler)

I most appreciated that the end wasn't tied up with a happy little fairy tale bow. Good choices aren't made once and then it's happily ever after; they have to keep being made every day. Healing doesn't happen instantly; it's a continuous work in progress. That fact that this was acknowledged, while still providing us with a strong sense of hope and faith that lasting happiness is coming, is why the ending is so satisfying and why you get to end with happy tears to mix with your earlier ones of shared pain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.