Eddie's Reviews > The Gentlemen's Hour

The Gentlemen's Hour by Don Winslow

Jun 06, 12

Read from May 26 to 28, 2012

I'm not normally a go by the author-type-of-guy, but I'm totally a Don Winslow fan. I love his books, his high energy, straight to the point like a bullet that hits its mark, cool ass writing style. I also love that most of his books take place in and around southern California, I love the offbeat, yet feel very real characters he creates in his books—and this book didn't disappoint one tiny bit since it was typical Winslow at his best.

The Gentlemen's Hour is a fast paced, whodunit, but not an overly done whodunit. I almost forget you're reading a full-blown PI book, which is great for me because I'm not a huge fan of whodunits anyhow. I got wrapped up in the characters, the beach setting, the lingo of his writing and the crooked and loyal characters who are just so damn real to me more than I did the mystery aspect of this book. And Boone is now one of my favorite characters I've read in a book thus far. He's just so dysfunctional, yet so cool that he handles it ever so perfectly with a delicate balance that Winslow can write so well. This is the second book in the Dawn Patrol series and I hope to hell he continues on with these freaking addicting reads, characters and story lines! Winslow, stick to this and forget branching off and doing things like Satori. These are all you, Satori was forced and completely not you. You definitely made up with this one though!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentlemen's Hour.