Dana Schroeder's Reviews > The House of the Spirits

May 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read from May 18 to 26, 2012 , read count: 1

This is a book I have often heard people reference throughout the years but that I never took time to read. It wasn't until I read Like Water for Chocolate that it came to my attention again as a similar type of book. I have really mixed feelings about this novel. First off, I think it is safe to say that I am not really a fan of the magical realism genre. While I enjoyed Allende's character development throughout, I was a bit annoyed by the "magical" aspects of the novel.

Allende does a fantastic job of weaving the tale of three generations of the Trueba family from Chile with a great socio-political discussion throughout. The author's use of both the first and third person point of view as well as the way she tells the story in a non-chronological way in addition to the depth of character development make it a well written novel. However, I found after the first 200 pages that I had to force myself to finish reading it. At some points the narrative seems to drag and overall I did not find the book either entertaining or a piece of literature that teaches us about the human condition as much as it teaches us about society as a whole. I was a bit disappointed by this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Spirits.