Jennifer's Reviews > Pathfinder

F 50x66
May 26, 12

bookshelves: audio-book
Read in May, 2012

Typical Orson Scott Card book - which is probably the best thing I can say about it as he's one of my favorite authors (so, yes, I'm biased.) Except possibly to add the first half felt like I was reading stories written by Robert Heinlein and JRR Tolkien at the same time, which is probably the second best thing I can say about this book. Though I must admit I laughed out loud during some of the "technical" explanations of what was happening as quite a few of them felt like they were pointing a finger at the genre itself. Though a bit of gentle self-mocking never hurt anyone.

One thing I think Card did well here, and in fact does well almost always in his writing, is to consistently write smart people as smart while still giving the audience a fair shot at figuring out what's going on. Far too often smart people are written as missing the glaringly obvious to advance the plot and keep it going for a few hundred pages while half the audience is wondering how anyone can be that stupid. In this novel, I think Card manages this by giving enough different view points that, while the audience is given enough information to be able to piece together what's going on fairly early, the characters themselves don't have access to the whole picture and thus their lack of understanding is, for me, entirely believable.

Because, of course, as with all Card's writing, the story is very, very clever while the characters act just like the kids playing right now in my backyard.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pathfinder.