John's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

May 26, 12

Read in May, 2012

Since my brother has done the Pacific Crest Trail, I had a certain bias when I began this book and found out that she had skipped the John Muir portion of the PCT. What a sacrilege! Plus starting the trail with shoes that were not broken in and poorly fitting. Tisk Tisk..

We retired guys mountain bike in the Lagunas every week and get to see first hand what idealism looks like when coupled with a tough objective like the PCT. We see the hikers on the porch at the Laguna Store and it is kind of a game to guess who is going to actually make it to the Canada border. Better do your homework first and even then things seldom go as planned. But enough of my BS, lets get by all these petty prejudices and look objectively at this book.

Cheryl is a complicate person with some real demons in her past. I have had friends on the heroin trail and anyone who gets back to living life deserves a lot of slack. Her past life without a real father and after the death of her mother was not a pretty sight. The PCT provides the vehicle for her coming to grips with her past so that there will be a future for her. She is sympathetic to those around her and I don't recall one person that she passed judgement on. Even in a situation where sexism and threat were very real, she does not fall into the trap of grouping (red neck bow hunters) and dismissing.

I was kind of taken aback that this book was written so far time wise from when it happened. Hopefully, it was taken from notes closer to the adventure and not just a somewhat fictional remembrance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.