Jessica's Reviews > Through a Glass Darkly

Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen

Sep 24, 08

This was both very good and very disappointing at the same time. I couldn't put it down, but neither did it give me happy, cheerful feelings.
This is the story of the maturing of a young girl, Barbara, in 18th century England. She has a passionate loving nature and though of the upper class, does not always abide by the typical conventions and standards all the time. All her life she has been distantly in love with a man who served her very famous grandfather, and one day, her very selfish and broke mother promises to marry her to him. Lord Devane only wants to marry her because of a large piece of property that is her dowry. However, our heroine is determined to marry him and to make him love her. The results of her determination bring her both happiness, and mostly, sadness. But her experiences do make her an interesting unique woman.
I recommend this to those who like historical fiction and who don't mind quite a bit of the grittier side of marriage and sex.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through a Glass Darkly.