Terry Crawford Palardy's Reviews > How Good Do We Have to Be? A New Understanding of Guilt and Forgiveness

How Good Do We Have to Be? A New Understanding of Guilt and F... by Harold S. Kushner

May 26, 2012

Read in May, 1998

I read this book many years ago, and lent it to someone, and they lent it to someone and so the story goes. If i still had it I would read it again. The section i took the most from was a second hand story about Carl Rogers, a counselor of olden days. Rogers said, and i'm paraphrasing, so this is like a fourth hand account: I am not perfect. To be a good counselor one must have empathy. To have empathy for the guilt ridden, one must have done wrong and experienced guilt. That is human. A perfect entity could not have empathy for a guilt ridden person; a perfect entity is not human. I am human, and therefore I am enough. My shortened version: I am not perfect. I am enough. I use that all the time. It is a comforting, human thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Good Do We Have to Be? A New Understanding of Guilt and Forgiveness.