Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Marrying the Royal Marine

Marrying the Royal Marine by Carla    Kelly

Photobucket

DNF when I was 67 % done. My time is too precious to waste on a boring book. I'm really disappointed. Marrying the Royal Marine started off very promising--I really liked it. The story kept me interested up to about 30 % and then it started to seriously bore me. The heroine is pale, uptight and…boring. While we're on it, Hugh didn't shine either. Frankly, throughout the story I couldn't find any chemistry between Hugh and Polly. Gosh, how many times did Hugh kiss Polly on her head, huh? There was not one single passionate kiss to be found. Honestly, they behaved like brother and sister. I love mesmerizing dialogue, however, what I got here was a narrative ad nauseam. I think that's exactly what sealed the deal for me. A boring narrative and not enough dialogue. And of course the lack of passion between H/h. I mean I'm reading a historical romance. Dear Ms. Kelly, when it's labeled romance, then I truly expect a developing romance/relationship between two human beings. Well, onwards…I hope the next one will be better.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marrying the Royal Marine.

06/03/2012
0.0% "Older hero / younger heroine. Looks good..."
06/04/2012
31.0% ""Take a leap of faith, Miss Brandon; trust me to be kind." Hugh is kind. It's a good read; I like it so far!"

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika Sorry it was a miss Baba.. hope your next read will be much better :)

message 2: by Lenore (new)

Lenore The title only, Babs, should make flashing alarms go off in your head. "Channel Fleet" sounds kinky though; if you're into m/m, that is! *eyebrow waggle*

message 3: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Ah well, onto the next one then.

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ You're so lucky you can leave a book unfinished, Babs. My OCD just never lets me do it. *sigh*
Hope you'll enjoy the next one. :)

Marty I'm sorry you didn't like this, Baba. I haven't read this one, yet, but I usually enjoy Carla Kelly books, and I can't say I've ever been bored by her writing. But her style is different and not for everyone, mostly character-driven and darker than your usual historical romance. Also, she doesn't write traditional HR, but Regency HR. In regencies the sensuality and romance is usually more subtle/toned-down, (yes, sometimes only kisses ;-))

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Erika wrote: "Sorry it was a miss Baba.. hope your next read will be much better :)"

I hope so too, Erika!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lenore wrote: "The title only, Babs, should make flashing alarms go off in your head. "Channel Fleet" sounds kinky though; if you're into m/m, that is! *eyebrow waggle*"

Really? Well, stupid me.

Hahaha...yeah, you know me, Lenore, I'm so into m-m...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Becs wrote: "Ah well, onto the next one then."

Yeah, Becs, I hope my actual read will be way better...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Rain Hart wrote: "You're so lucky you can leave a book unfinished, Babs. My OCD just never lets me do it. *sigh*
Hope you'll enjoy the next one. :)"

LOL I have no problems at all to put a boring book aside. You might try it...just once...it's kind of a good feeling, babe.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Marty wrote: "I'm sorry you didn't like this, Baba. I haven't read this one, yet, but I usually enjoy Carla Kelly books, and I can't say I've ever been bored by her writing. But her style is different and not fo..."

Okey dokey, then her style is definitely not for me. You know I don't mind at all if a book doesn't display explicit love/sex scenes. But I need to feel their chemistry, their passion for each other. That was incredibly lacking here. BTW, the writing was not dark at all either. Plain boring. Sorry, but it's the way I see it. And the narrative totally killed my will to finish this book--besides the lack of chemistry, of course.

in regencies the sensuality and romance is usually more subtle/toned-down, (yes, sometimes only kisses)

Uh, yeah, then it was toned-down to practically non-existent.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) At least you didn't waste all your time, Baba. Hope your next book is better.

message 12: by Lenore (new)

Lenore Baba wrote: "Hahaha...yeah, you know me, Lenore, I'm so into m-m..."

I know, Babs. But I was talking about me and my obsession over the genre :)

Marty Baba wrote: "Sorry, but it's the way I see it..."

Well, you don't have to be sorry... We can't control what we find boring, after all ;-) My iPad is full with books I dnf because I was bored, so I know exactly what you're talking about and I'm so glad that I've also reached the point where I don't HAVE to finish each book I've started...

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla LOL, cute cartoon Baba!

message 15: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Great review Babs and love your image! It is perfect:)

message 16: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Nicely said Baba! Loving the cute cartoon, lol!

Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ Nice review - the cartoon is funny. Too many books & too little time to be dragged into the boring book abyss.

Zumbagirl Sorry it didn't work out - did you get to the part when they were taken captive? I think things started moving a lot faster then and I saw/felt more of their interactions and feelings. It was a very serious story tho

message 19: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Baba - liking your comment, but not that you couldn't finish after investing so much time. I absolutely hate when that happens. I agree, too many really good books waiting for you. Onward!

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill No way, Jose. I love Carla Kelly and MtRM. I think you need to do a re-read, Baba! Now, back to page one...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter @Karla, KatLynne, Wen & Denise
Thank you, ladies! Yeah, I like the cartoon too. :-)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Zumbagirl wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out - did you get to the part when they were taken captive? I think things started moving a lot faster then and I saw/felt more of their interactions and feelings. It was a v..."

Yes, I did get to this part of the book. Honestly, I thought it would get better. But there is simply no chemistry at all between these two. If a book is labeled as romance then I really want to see an evolving and romantic relationship (I don't talk about the sex/love scenes). BTW, I assume there was not one single love scene to be found either. As I mentioned in my review the narrative was too much as well.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Michelle wrote: "Baba - liking your comment, but not that you couldn't finish after investing so much time. I absolutely hate when that happens. I agree, too many really good books waiting for you. Onward!"

LOL Thanks, Michelle. It's not the end of the world...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "No way, Jose. I love Carla Kelly and MtRM. I think you need to do a re-read, Baba! Now, back to page one..."

Pfffffttt! You can't be serious, my lovely.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "At least you didn't waste all your time, Baba. Hope your next book is better."

Yes, that's true, Kristen. Well, so far I like my actual read. :-)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Marty wrote: "Baba wrote: "Sorry, but it's the way I see it..."

Exactly, Marty. :-)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Ahhh, that's too bad. I bought this one awhile back but haven't read it yet.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Ahhh, that's too bad. I bought this one awhile back but haven't read it yet."

Dhes, don't mind me. A lot of readers loved it.

Kathleen Well, Baba, if you didn't like this one, I doubt you'll like any by Carla Kelly. This is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of passion and dialogue. By the way, I loved MtRM. And towards the last 20%, he's "rogering" her a lot ;-)

Kathleen Oops. I meant to say, as good as she gets in terms of passion and dialogue.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kathleen wrote: "Well, Baba, if you didn't like this one, I doubt you'll like any by Carla Kelly. This is pretty much as good as it gets in terms of passion and dialogue. By the way, I loved MtRM. And towards the l..."

No worries, Kathleen, this was my first AND last book by this author. She is not for me. I don't mind to read a book without explicit sex scenes but what I really want to read & feel is CHEMISTRY and some kind of an evolving relationship between H/h. Yeah, and then I want great dialogue. Sadly, this was not going to happen. I'm done already with this author. Glad you enjoyed it though. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kathleen wrote: "Oops. I meant to say, as good as she gets in terms of passion and dialogue."

Yeah, I got it. :)

Kathleen Yeah, she's not to everyone's taste. And with millions of authors to choose from, why settle? :-)