Christine's Reviews > Witchful Thinking

7412084
Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 30 to 31, 2012

First things first, as with the other Jolie Wilkins books... I loved Witchful Thinking! Now with my love put out there for all to know, lets get the nasty business of a little grunt and rant out of the way.

It wasn't until I was about 65% into this book that I realized that that the first books in this series were self published, and this was the first which was traditionally published. It was this realization that helped my initial 4 star review into 5 stars. Let me explain.

There is so much back story telling in the first 38% of this book I was almost in tears. Ever since I have read the first sentence from Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble I have not been able to put these books down. When I started Witchful Thinking I was needing for the story to move forward, I wanted new interactions between Jolie and Rand, and many more interactions between Jolie and Sinjin... You might even say I was craving it.

The story does pick up just as Toil and Trouble left off, just as the other books have done. But immediately you can tell this one is going to be different as Jolie is keeping a diary. This diary turns into a way for her to remember past moments and to painstakingly retell the previous books that I had only just finished reading. Yes the story does slowly continue to move on and there are new story lines developing but every time there was a flashback or a retelling in full detail of a past event or who a person was I groaned and wanted to turn my Kindle off.

Thankfully I continued...

Now why is that this being the first traditionally published book in the series matter to the retelling of the previous books? It's for the newbies! This will have been the first book that somebody could find on the supermarket shelf or in the local book store. If somebody saw the cover, read the back and liked it they weren't going to go out to Amazon and download a Kindle version or try to find a self published copy of the first two books now are they? They would buy this book and so they needed to be informed of what was going on and what went on in the past. Fair enough for them, and I understand the need but for somebody that was reading them all in full it was frustrating.

However, at around 38% the retelling appeared to die down, yes there were still moments later that it popped up again but just little titbits here and there and it was no longer distracting.

Finally, we are all on the same page, what was happening to the story now that we could successfully carry on? It was amazing as usual! The characters are written so wonderfully that I struggle right along with everybody. I can understand how Jolie is so torn between Rand and Sinjin, I feel the same. However, if I am being honest with myself I think I know I love Sinjin more. But see even saying it here makes me feel guilt toward Rand... Wow, H.P. Mallory is an amazing storyteller. I speak as if these people are real! Maybe I'm just losing my mind. :)

As I have said before, I would strongly suggest these books to anybody but please start from Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble and read Toil and Trouble, do not just start at Witchful Thinking and hope to be caught up. You will have to reread quite a bit of back story but the first two books are too good to skip.

Today is May 31st and and the next book The Witch Is Back is not out until July 31st. That is two months of waiting... this is going to be torture.

Some of my favorite passages:

I'd gone into battle dressed in stretch pants and come out of it looking like Rapunzel.

Ah, bonding ... what a bitch.

"One of life's lessons is to learn how to trust in the things over which we have no control"

Look out Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet, because here come Rand and Jolie.

Sinjin smiled, "I am your loyal and faithful subject, my Queen, to do with as you please."

Sinjin nodded, not appearing to be fazed in the least. "Yes, I aided our lovely witch. But you know how persuasive she can be. And you also know of my weakness for a damsel in distress."

"I do not know, love," Sinjin said as a secretive smile spread across his lips. "Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight. For I never saw true beauty until this night."

Sinjin dropped his fingers but not the soul-searching gaze in my eyes. "I am well aware of the rules of this game, poppet," he whispered. "Therefore, let us have just one more dance."

"It is difficult now but it will not always be so. Perfer et obdura, dolor hic tibi proderit olim." I turned around and looked up at him askance, wondering where the hell he came up with this stuff. he chuckled again. "It is Latin, from Ovid. Translated, it means: Be patient and touch, someday this pay will be useful to you."

Rand glanced down at me with a smile. "Will your path be difficult? Most probably. Do I believe you can handle it? Most definitely."

Sinjin was spontaneous chaos dressed in impulse with just a touch of anarchy.

"Your Queen." Bella snickered. "There was a time when you said the exact same words to me." Sinjin returned the snicker. "Except with you I never meant them."

"I can be whomever you choose me to be, love. Although I was of the belief that you liked me as I am?"

"What are you saying? I asked, albeit breathlessly. Rand's jaw tightened. "You want me to claim you? Then call this me claiming you." He pulled me into his arms and lifted me, bride style, as he started for the bed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchful Thinking.

05/30/2012
61.0% "ggrrrr.... It was so hard going for the first part. Far too much time recapping previous books. Why do authors do this? Who starts a series half way in? And if they do then isn't it their own fault anyway? It was even as bad as many pages being an exact copy of previous text from book 2. Thankfully after about 35% in the recaps stopped. It is now flowing along lovely and I can continue to adore it!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christine I feel I must add a further comment to my 61% progress update. I've only just realized that the first two books in the Jolie Wilkins series were self published. This book, Witchful Thinking, was the first properly published. This explains the need for SO MUCH back story. As a reader of the first two books it is annoying to have to play catch up for those coming into the game at this book but I now understand the need for it. I can just hope now that the next books will not carry on as I'm assuming people should be caught up now.