Rachael Woohoo's Reviews > Crimson Midnight

6209494
Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, review-copy, reviewed, ebooks-i-own
Read in June, 2012

Disclaimer: The fact that the author has provided me a free copy of Crimson Midnight in exchange for an honest review has not affected my rating.

As the first adult urban fantasy novel I've read, I'm not quite sure what I was expecting - more mature situations? Maturer characters? In Crimson Midnight, Rose, who was mugged when she was fifteen, takes a new job in London as a self defense teacher in a gym. There, she discovers love, true friendship, and finds her own identity.

The best part of this book for me was Rose. Despite being mugged (and never having the perpetuators caught), Rose is quick-witted, sarcastic, and definitely kick-butt (she teaches self-defense! Fighting skills!) She definitely didn't allow herself to be patronized. For example, in the beginning of the book, she breaks up with a bad boyfriend and tells him to f*** off after he begs to be taken back. When she moves to London, (view spoiler). Overall, Rose definitely made the story more entertaining, from her kick-butt-ness and her humor.

The other characters were also (mostly) likable. I didn't expect to like Thistle, Roman's vampire fling, although she turned out to be a likable female companion to Faye. Even before (view spoiler), I actually liked Thistle better than Faye, because of her attitude in general towards Howard or Catherine. And Roman - another witty character! He entertains by verbally sparring with Rose, although I feel that his character wasn't as developed, so (view spoiler)

The plot overall is also pretty exciting. One of the surprising elements is that Amos Cassidy is able to transition from the supernatural alley haunting scenes to the "normal" human bar/party scenes surprisingly well. Moreover, although there was a small suspicion planted because of (view spoiler), I didn't suspect the true identity of the murders. My only complaint is the additional characters' POV chapters - when reading them, I was slightly confused, and since they were only a few chapters, their characters didn't develop much either. However, these chapters may also have been necessary for the end to come together.

And the last chapter - I'm not sure what to say! It leaves a lot of open ends and questions for me. Maybe if I decide to read another adult fantasy novel (I actually picked this one up, mistaking it for YA - oh well!), I'll definitely read the sequel.

Overall, if you're an adult/mature teenager (there's some heaavvvy scenes in there!) and like adult urban fantasy, try Crimson Midnight - it doesn't disappoint throughout the whole book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crimson Midnight.