Li's Reviews > The Iron Duke

The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

May 26, 12

bookshelves: series, romance, fantasy, favorites, read-in-2012, cross-posted
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

I am very late to the party on this one judging from the number of GR reviews. I'm not quite sure what took me so long to pick this up, but winning the second book Heart of Steel in a giveaway hosted by the author finally prompted me to start reading THE IRON DUKE.

And you know what? I really really liked it.

I loved the incredibly imaginative, in-depth, and consistent world-building. There wasn't just a passing nod to steampunk - instead, everything, including the mindset and behaviour of the characters, came across as note-perfect, making this alternate-history world feel real and believable.

The plot itself is not a complicated one - it's a murder mystery with political undertones, combined with some old-school romance. But combined with the refreshingly unique backdrop, this was an thoroughly entertaining and satisfying read.

I know this book generated some controversy, which I do want to mention(view spoiler).

I'm glad I have HEART OF STEEL in my TBR pile, because I need to know more about this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Duke.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Estara The intro-novella Here There Be Dragons is EXCELLENT as well! I'm not sure if it's been published singly yet, though.

message 2: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li I *think* I have - was it in the BURNING UP anthology? I remember reading an Iron Seas novella which was great.

Estara Yes, that was the first one. I haven't read the other one yet, even though I won the anthology - it is a side story shining a light on Mina's sidekick, the constable.

message 4: by Li (new) - rated it 4 stars

Li It's just such a great world - I will probably buy the new Mina/Rhys novella when it's released in e as well.

message 5: by Estara (last edited May 30, 2012 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Estara Definitely! Especially as the third book has a totally different couple in a different part of the world again. I thought Mina and Rhys could easily become that world's Eve Dallas and Roarke ^^, actually.