Tim's Reviews > Who Am I? And If So How Many? A Journey Through Your Mind

Who Am I? And If So How Many? A Journey Through Your Mind by Richard David Precht

M_50x66
May 26, 12

Read in May, 2012

A sprawling, ranging book that covers a lot of ground in only a few hundred pages. Crossing multiple schools of thought, especially psychology, sociology, neuroscience, Precht tells a story of philosophy and philosophers that is both eye-opening and rewarding. Despite the subject material, it's a breezy read. Precht hits a nice balance of pop-science and critical thinking, managing to reference material as accessible as the Matrix without ever sounding patronising.

It works as a philosophy primer, but also a little bit of a "self-help" guide. The chapters on happiness should be essential reading for everyone, although not everyone will agree with his clearly anti-materialistic viewpoint. And I definitely think you'll enjoy the book more if you are as left leaning as Precht, as his bias does creep into the text on occasions, but it's not so obvious to be annoying. Even when he writes a shallow paragraph on the effects of "ego shooter" video games, it didn't mean the rest of the chapter wasn't brilliant. Well he is German and over-40 - they all seem to suffer group-think on this issue.

Anyway... take a look at this paragraph, and if this sticks in throat then steer clear of this book. But if it appeals, then you should probably read it:

"People sacrifice their freedom and their self-determination to gain a higher income and buy things they don't need in order to impress people they don't like with money they don't have."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Am I? And If So How Many? A Journey Through Your Mind.