Rachel Hartman's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Jun 03, 12

Read from May 26 to June 03, 2012

That ending! Weep!

We had our disagreements in the middle, this book and I, but it acquitted itself mightily in the final act, and it is far and away my favourite of the three books.

Proper review to come, for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

05/26/2012 page 50
9.0% "So far I am finding this very dreamlike, which appeals to me. A bridge made of mirrors? Glass ceilings and hidden mazes? Hello, subconscious, let's go spelunking!" 1 comment
05/28/2012 page 106
19.0% "Oh book. You are all full of dream imagery, gaslighting, PTSD, and dissociation. You are like a big messy mind, and I love you." 2 comments
05/29/2012 page 176
31.0% "This is all about coming back from abuse. So was Graceling, really, but this is a different angle on it. Trying to piece together yourself by piecing together the past."
06/02/2012 page 320
57.0% "All right, I do just need to say: one of the big difficulties in writing a book about dissociation is that there's going to be a lot of fuzziness. My one criticism so far is that all Bitterblue's "What's going on? Why won't anyone talk about what happened?" is true to process but a little bit tedious to read. Fortunately, there was just a reasonably big reveal and it's a bit more engaging again."
06/02/2012 page 375
67.0% "Another repetition I'm not too keen on: discussion of Po and Katsa's relationship. I don't mind talking about it once, but talking about it multiple times and also speculating to herself about it is probably overkill." 1 comment
show 1 hidden update…

Penny Yoke Great to hear that! I didn't finish Fire, cos its too depressing for me. Graceling is not bad, but I hope Bitterblue is better! No sexual relationships I hope.

message 2: by Rhea (new)

Rhea I love your reviews, Rachel! They're funny and very insightful. I'm very curious to see what you have to say about this one; can you review it soon, pretty please?

Rachel Hartman I do need to get to this one, although it's been so long I don't remember what I was going to say. Maybe I should reread it, eh? :)

message 4: by Rhea (new)

Rhea Rachel wrote: "I do need to get to this one, although it's been so long I don't remember what I was going to say. Maybe I should reread it, eh? :)"

If you'd like! Judging from your "reading comments," this looks like one of those complex books that can be reread many times.