Andreea's Reviews > Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog

Baree by James Oliver Curwood

Jul 11, 2012

it was ok
Read from May 26 to June 23, 2012 , read count: 1

This is a story about a wolf-dog puppy, who is separated from his family and is forced to learn to survive on his own. The reader learns how the puppy grows up and reaches maturity because of the rough experiences he goes through, experiences that reveal either his wild nature, or his domestic one. Baree is torn between his two origins: the wolf and the dog. Eventually, the reader finds out his true origin judging by Baree's choices: is he going to join the wolves or live like a dog?

I regarded Curwood's book as a pretty nice tale, but not an extraordinary one. It did not blow me away. I am not keen on long descriptions of nature scenes, but the ones in this book are quite acceptable... and not so long. I particularly enjoyed the fact that Baree was a special animal - half wolf, half dog. Sometimes, he hunts like a wolf, other times, he is tame like a dog. This makes the story a bit more engaging because you never know what to expect from Baree. You never know how he will act in certain situations.

Also, the plot involving Baree and the human beings is rather good. It is lovely to watch how the relationship between Baree and the female character, Nepeese, evolves. The twists and turns are very welcome, too. The author obviously meant to let the reader know that animals also have feelings and that they act accordingly, no matter what kind of feelings they are: positive or negative ones. Clearly, there is a constant fight between Baree and the antagonist, Mac Taggart, which adds a bit of a thrill to the plot and arouses the reader's curiosity.

All in all, I can say that the book was ok, but it did not leave me with a very good impression. Personally, I prefer more complex stories, involving various types of characters. While reading about Baree, I kept having the feeling that something was missing. Therefore, I would only recommend it to those who are really interested in books about animals or nature. Perhaps they will find a greater pleasure in reading Baree: The Story of a Wolf-Dog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baree.