Alicia's Reviews > Legacy

Legacy by Ravin Tija Maurice

May 30, 12

bookshelves: vampy, absolute-favorites
Read in May, 2012

Katrine's story is absolutely captivating.

I didn't really know what to expect, and since there are little to no reviews of this book I couldn't look to fellow Good Readers for advice. So I guess it's my turn to leave some.

Firstly, this novel is supernatural fiction.

Secondly, it is historical fiction.

And thirdly, it is damn near impossible to put down once you start it.

This novel opens with a brief story of Kristina, a mid-wife who is charged with raising the bastard daughter of a noblewoman. The story then jumps, super briefly, to that daughter Anastasia. But this novel is really focused on Anastasia's 16 year old daughter and simple Hungarian villager, Katrine.

Katrine is the granddaughter of Countess Elizabeth Báthory (a real person, Wikipedia says she is remembered as one of the most prolific serial killers ever), and in Legacy she has inherited supernatural abilities through her grandmother and mother's bloodline.

Not too much time is spent exploring the supernatural, although there is plenty of it; witches, vampires, werewolves, and things in between.

Instead this story focuses on Katrine's journey to find her family, make a place for herself in the world, and understand what it is she has become.

There are fantastic descriptions of cities, parties, gowns, hair styles, dances/ballets, flirtatious gentlemen, and beautiful women. And all of it is delivered through Katrine's naive and optimistic view of the world she has been thrown into.

I think what I love most about Katrine is how normal she is. She's neither absurdly strong nor weepy/weak. She's naive and embarrassed, confident and clueless, logical and clearheaded, impressed and impressionable, and refreshingly loyal to those who treat her well..

In fact, the only criticism I could have of her is how well she takes to her blood cravings - almost too nonchalant.

There is a little tinge of romance but it is not the focus of the story, and after reading/watching Katrine grow up, I'm pretty okay with that. Following Katrine from her little Hungarian village to her Grandmother's deserted and rather gothic castle, to Vienna and then Paris, you really grow to love her and want her to find herself before she finds love. And she does.

I finished the book all too fast, and thinking about where/how it could end... I honestly don't know how I'll be satisfied. I want to read about her whole life, and all the little mysteries we've been promised will unravel.

I can't wait for the next one novel in the Daughters of Darkness series! We have a LOT more left to learn!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy.

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire Where did you get a copy of this book? I can't find it anywhere.