Kimberly's Reviews > The Chaperone

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty

Jun 17, 12

Read from May 26 to June 17, 2012

I’m fairly picky when it comes to historical fiction. I have to really be in the mood to read it and then I will carefully select my book. Kate at Midnight Book Girl read it and loved it so even though I wasn’t craving a historical fiction I gave it a try. I am so glad I did.
Laura Moriarty writes beautifully. Even if I hadn’t enjoyed the story (which I did) I could have read the book because everything just sounds so good.

I love the 1920’s. For me, it’s the most fascinating decade that I didn’t live in. I love learning about the 20’s and of course looking at all those pretty clothes!

Louise’s mother was… not really a mother. It was really hard to read how her mother felt in the book. I did some fact checking on Louise and that was how her mother really felt which makes me sad. Her dad wasn’t really into children either so it really shouldn’t be a surprise that Louise has “behavioral” issues.

As much as enjoyed Louise I enjoyed Cora so much more (and really, the book is about Cora anyway). Her story was fascinating and there were so many things I didn’t expect. She went to New York as Louise’s chaperone for her own reasons and it changed not only her life but others lives as well.

There were quite a few twists in The Chaperone, none of which I was expecting. It made for a very interesting read, especially considering the time period.

I always enjoy reading books that have happened someplace I’ve been. And since I just came back from New York this book was appropriate. It was interesting to see that while many things have changed since the 1920’s, some things are the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chaperone.

06/15/2012 page 255