Lee Harmon's Reviews > Third Way Allegiance: Christian Witness in the Shadow of Religious Empire

Third Way Allegiance by Tripp York

May 26, 12

Here's a perfect selection for your book club. York feeds us a collection of thought-provoking essays, ranging from the politics of war to the proper celebration of our holidays. York doesn't have the answers, but he has plenty of questions to make us wonder whether we have, in capitalistic America, lost our way down the Christian path.

For one thing, Christianity may hardly be worth fighting the New Atheists over. Have we forgotten what a fantastic story it is we cling to? Didn't Tertullian get it right when he claimed to believe precisely because the story was unbelievable? Christianity is simply not philosophically defensible, and it may be that our very attempt to defend Christianity, ironically, leads to its demise. When it becomes common sense, guys, it's all over for Christianity.

But is it common sense to seek the common good? Goods are only good if they are shared goods, at least according to Scripture and early Christian history. Yet without reverence for the seven deadly sins (lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride) our capitalistic country would fold in on itself. What's a good Christian to do?

York will leave you wondering whether it's even possible anymore to be a Christian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Third Way Allegiance.