Lynne Spreen's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 26 to June 01, 2012

GENIUS!! The author, clearly bored in midlife, looks around and thinks, hmmm, how can I make a bazillion dollars off the idiocracy? Ta da: Fifty Shades of Grey. Dutiful ewe that I am, I bought a copy. Tried reading it twice. Got about 20 pages in, stopped. Both times.

Good God, what a stinker.

But here I am trying for a third time, and for that I blame my friend Casey. Casey, who is 28, agrees with me that it's poorly written. Agrees with me that the first (many) pages are stultifying. But then she said she was so hooked that when she finished the book, she was frantic to buy the sequel. She convinced me, and this is why:

Casey, who is smart, said the book is sexually empowering for young women because they don't know how to ask for what they want. I was stunned. I think I said the F word a couple of times as I realized what she was saying. "Do you mean to tell me, youngster, that in your world of hyper-sexualized media images and clothing, and the assumed empowerment of your peers, that women are STILL whimpering around, afraid to ask? That in spite of all the revealing clothes, de rigueur boob jobs, and indiscriminate booty calls and hooking up, nothing has changed?"

Casey said, "That's what I'm telling you!" She can't believe I expected more of women. As a child of the 1960s, I can't believe she's right. So I decided to study them, and Fifty Shades is my first textbook.

So, with my Kindle in one hand and my nostrils firmly clamped with the other, I'm reading it. Then I'm going to talk with Casey about it.
THEN I'm going to do a bit more research and write about what I've found.

More later.

UPDATE: I'm about halfway through, and the first beating has just occurred, and little bite-her-lip, gaze-up-through-lowered-lashes Anastasia can't figure out why getting an ass whipping makes her love Mr. Grey even more. And he, after he slaps the shit out of her, loves and sweet-talks her, professing he's a moth to her flame, etc. I can't help but worry that this is going to send a very bad message to stupid young girls who see being controlled as love. I hate this book.

UPDATE: I hated this whole idea so much I blogged about it here, and I hope you'll visit and leave a comment. http://anyshinything.com/2012/06/01/f...