Kristine's Reviews > City of Veils

City of Veils by Zoë Ferraris

May 26, 2012

bookshelves: mystery-suspense, religion-and-or-lds
Read from July 07 to 09, 2012

City of Veils is a murder/crime mystery set in Saudi Arabia that involves the clash of culture, religion, sexism, corruption, and love. It is a very good book. I loved it. There are a LOT of insights about extremism/moderation religions, and not just Islam.

I usually can't handle graphic violence on screen or in a book - and I could handle this okay. The book would have gotten 4 stars from me easily -- it has good characters, layering, and plot . . . but the F-bomb is excessive.

Zoe Ferraris (the author) is an American who married a Saudi. After they had a child they moved and lived in Saudi Arabia for a few years. They are currently divorced, but living in and around SA and with the females of her in-law's family (I think) has made her uniquely qualified to voice some insight about the religion and culture through an American lens. I feel this is a bit more true-to-life than "Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arab" by Jean Sasson.

My favorite part of the book is in the after-word the author shares her list of Saudi books that are accurate and interesting for those interested in learning more about Saudi Arabia. I'll be adding those to my to-read shelf soon.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Veils.