Isamlq's Reviews > Solace of the Road

Solace of the Road by Siobhan Dowd

May 26, 12

Read on May 26, 2012

3.5/5

And I was Solace. Solace of the road, walking into a night sky, thumb out and fag in hand…

There’s both a literal and figurative journey in this one for a girl who takes on a personality so different from her own. Holly, her story is sad but not completely tragic. Sad because she’s in foster care and does all these stupid things, but not completely tragic because not once does she get bogged down by what she doesn’t have. She’s always looking forward and thinking about how to get where she needs to go. Because even with most details of her past murky… there’s this one thing that’s made clear: she’s clung to the idea that somewhere in Ireland is her mother, and that everything will right itself once they’re together.

In fact most everything she thinks and does: the nice, the sweet, and even the mean goes back to her mother or more accurately her mother not being there. It’s different this. That even with all that in mind things never went over the top dramatic. It’s all soft, sometimes sad, definitely out there... and brave. Not once did it have drama for drama’s sake.

That’s even with Solace who’s out there and brave and ready for anything. And that’s despite Holly who’s under that blonde wig. It’s Holly/Solace’s story that I’ve been looking for of late. Not really over the top in drama just a girl who thinks she’s got things figured out and doing something about it. Sure, sometimes liking either was next to impossible, but thank gosh that I picked this up.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solace of the Road.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I hadn't heard of this one. Really nice review.

Isamlq Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "I hadn't heard of this one. Really nice review."

Have you read A Monster Calls? I think it's based on Dowd's ideas.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have not. Should I be skipping this one and read AMC instead?

Isamlq Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "I have not. Should I be skipping this one and read AMC instead?"

Go with AMC first! Then if you like the feel of that, I think you'll enjoy this one too. I have both Bog Child and A Swift Pure Cry lined up because I want to try more of her stuff.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm kicking myself now for not taking Wendy up on her offer to send it to me. AMC has pictures, right? It probably works better as a paper book then...although my color reader seems to work fine for cookbooks and I tested out a graphic novel on it and that looked okay too.

Isamlq Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "I'm kicking myself now for not taking Wendy up on her offer to send it to me. AMC has pictures, right? It probably works better as a paper book then...although my color reader seems to work fine fo..."

The illustrations were a wonderful bonus; they were just beautiful! But the story itself was something else. Read it for the story. :)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard My library has this audiobook but I've never picked it up because I had no idea if it was good or bad. Glad you reviewed this!