Cheyenne Blue's Reviews > Resilience

Resilience by Anne Deveson

May 31, 12

bookshelves: australian, non-fiction
Recommended to Cheyenne by: Found on a shelf in the latest houseit
Read from May 26 to 31, 2012

I don't really know what to make of this book.

What I'd hoped for was some sort of analysis or reasoning as to why some people are more resilient than others. Maybe practical ways to boost resilience in myself (I mean, what writer doesn't want this? We're all such fragile little flowers *snort*). I would have liked to learn more about the fine line between "resilient" and "hard-hearted" - how best to shore oneself up against life yet retain empathy and joy.

In all of the above, this book was a disappointment. I learned that resilience is gained in the first couple of years of life -- if your mommy loved and nurtured you, you're better able to cope with what life throws your way. Fine and dandy, but not much help to those of us past toddler stage.

Past that, the book mashed together brief snippets of resilient people (and we're talking prisoner-of-war stuff) interspersed with Deveson's narration of how she met her husband. The former, while interesting, didn't attempt any analysis and so read like any ho-hum magazine. As for the latter - I simply can't see its place in this book.

Given that I only had a few days to read this (and I'm a slow reader of non-fiction), there was a lot of skimming to get to the end, so it's possible I've missed things a more careful reader would have seized upon. But there was nothing that made me want to slow down to absorb it better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resilience.