trinainmanila's Reviews > Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle

Full Tilt by Dervla Murphy

Jul 25, 07

Recommended for: those who travel but hate being tourists
Read in July, 2007

Intrepid would be an understatement! Dervla Murphy got bitten by various animals, was struck by severe stomach ailments, swam frigid rivers, stumbled upon a corpse, got pelted with stones at least once and sexually assaulted at least twice, got lost along the route of melting glaciers, nearly died of dehydration on top of a mountain! But she cycled all over Iran (still called Persia!) when it was still ruled by the shah and actually saw the giant Buddhas of Bamian before the Taliban blew them to kingdom come. I myself love cycling, but could never get the gumption to pedal myself across politically unstable countries such as these for months, in the dead of winter, with only a change of clothes and without a GPS tracking device. Most of us mere mortals would never get the chance to explore the world the way Dervla does (yes, she's still at it in her 70's) so this book (and her other travelogues) are truly priceless. She's a master of the English language so if only for the literary merit and not the vicarious experience, this book is worth a read. And a re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Tilt.