David's Reviews > Leaves of Grass

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

May 25, 12

Read in January, 2012

Whitman is a writer of uncontested grandeur and power. His poetry spans the entire continent of America, and reaches even beyond to the farther reaches of the earth. I am not in a position to really survey the merits of someone so important to American poetry, but you will remember what it is to be a free man walking in the sunshine of the earth, or else teeming in the city streets among the colorful cornucopia of people our society has to offer.

That said, there are times when the listing seems to lose it's beauty as poetry, and becomes Whitman's grand catalogue of Everything and Anything. If these more expansive lists (and I suspect part of this is due to the length of using the final 'death bed' edition of his poems, which some critics has said is not as important as some earlier editions of the book) were made sonorous through rhyme or some kind of standard meter, I think they would be more interesting or pleasurable to hear. As it is, there seem to be endless lists entrenched among the most poignant works, so that one feels that the work could have been cropped a bit more to make the living, sweetest fruit more easy to find.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaves of Grass.