Laura Hartness's Reviews > To Heaven and Back: The True Story of a Doctor's Extraordinary Walk with God

To Heaven and Back by Mary C. Neal

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: books-for-review
Read in June, 2012 — I own a copy

Within the last few years, I've greatly enjoyed reading a couple of books that recounted the testimonies of those who have had experiences in heaven. Don Piper's book 90 Minutes in Heaven was amazing, and his continued testimony of how he has endured physical and emotional pain since his return is inspiring. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago, and I look forward to finishing his follow-up book of encouragements, Heaven is Real.

This past Christmas I also read the jaw-dropping story of Colton Burpo in Heaven is for Real, which has spent many weeks on the bestseller lists. In both cases, I was awed, inspired and given so much hope from the experiences of these two individuals. As a Christian I do believe in heaven, but to hear direct testimony from these guys was just incredible. And while their stories are amazing, I felt comfortable believing in what they've been sharing with their audiences.

Recently I saw Dr. Mary Neal on a national news program sharing her own heavenly story as well, and my interest was piqued. I read her book To Heaven and Back, and while I found it interesting and at times amazing, I didn't feel as compelled to buy into everything that was shared in her story. I believe that she's sharing from her heart, that she has good intentions and that she did have these experiences. I just felt that theologically there were some "red flags" in her story. I always try to apply what I know of God's word whenever I hear stories like hers, and for some reason, I felt that some of it just didn't line up.

I'm not trying to discount eyewitness accounts of miracles that most certainly occurred the day of Dr. Neal's accident. I do believe in miracles, both ancient and modern, and I do accept that many miraculous things have happened to Mary. There were just some subsequent spiritual moments and revelations in her life that I cannot be certain were from the Lord.

For example, she believes that we existed before our birth here on earth, and that we have already seen the basic outline of how our lives are going to play out. She also believes that very young children still hold the memories of their pre-earth lives. She states:

"In preparation for our journey to earth, we are able to make a basic outline for our life. This is not to imply that we, the humans, are entirely in charge of our life's design. It is more like God creates it, then we review it and discuss it with our 'personal planning' angel. Within the algorithm are written branch points in our lives at which times we may exit, returning to God, or we may be redirected to a different task and goal."

I know that Dr. Neal is just writing from her heart, sharing what she has experienced and truly believes. I also know that there is much about the spirit world that we cannot begin to comprehend, sometimes making it very difficult to verify. There are forces that can disguise themselves as angels of light, deceiving us into believing things that seem to be lovely and true, but in actuality go against what the Lord has told us in His word.

Unfortunately, I'm not enough a Biblical scholar to specifically refute the things that didn't sit well with me in this book. Much of To Heaven and Back was encouraging and amazing, showing God's definite hand in the life of this intelligent, caring woman. There were just enough doubtful elements that keep me from accepting the whole of the book. My recommendation would be to read her story with both an open mind and a skeptic's heart as well. There's much to learn from Dr. Mary Neal's testimony, but I would take care as you experience it for yourself.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Heaven and Back.