Katie Michaels's Reviews > Moonglow

Moonglow by Kristen Callihan

May 25, 2012

Read from May 25 to 26, 2012 , read count: 1

I loved Firelight. When I found out it was the first in a series, I wondered how Kristen Callihan could possibly duplicate such an arresting and unique story in a sequel. The short answer is: she doesn't try to. Yes, Moonglow is set in the same world, with overlapping characters. But Daisy has a decidedly different story to tell than her sister did. And Ian is nothing like Archer. Their story is singular, and that is a good thing.

As the book opens, Daisy is coming out of mourning from the death of her horrible husband. She is finally free to find happiness and passion. She is just getting started, by trysting with a handsome man outside of a party, when she witnesses a werewolf attack. Her companion is killed and she is injured. That's when Ian swoops in and brings her to his home.

Ian is Lycan, but he lives apart from others of his kind. He recognizes the scent of wolf at the scene of the attack and must make sure that Daisy does not spread the word of what she has seen. As she recovers, the two pick up a flirtatious banter --that is, until he realizes she is Miranda's sister and she figures out that he is the oaf who tried to interfere with Miranda's relationship with Archer. They plan to go their separate ways, but when it's revealed the rogue wolf is targeting women who share Daisy's scent, Ian realizes she'll only be safe in his care until he can track down the killer.

Ian carries the tragedies of his past like a boulder on his back. A failed romance. A lost child. They make him afraid to open himself to love. Beyond that, there are pack politics at play, which put him and Daisy both in danger.

Callihan has taken the world she built in Firelight and expanded it, introducing new supernatural creatures to mingle with the old. At first, I wondered why she was introducing so many threads, but then she wove them all together, showing they were relevant from the beginning. There was nothing predictable. She surprised me and excited me with the werewolf arc... and still managed to answer old questions and reveal new truths about Daisy and her sisters.

The tone and the atmosphere is very similar to the last book, which I was happy about. It's still got that wonderful dark, gothic feel. A London that is a contrast of rich lushness and dank grime. The environment was almost like its own character in the book.

I enjoyed the romance between Ian and Daisy. It was really nice to watch them overcome their old hurts to let each other in. The sexual tension was good and the love scenes were steamy. The resolution was unexpected and satisfying. Plus, we've got the set up for Poppy's story. I'm curious to see how that will play out, since she is already married to her hero and so much has already happened between them.

Very good.

*ARC Provided by Grand Central Publishing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglow.

05/25/2012
05/26/2012
75.0% ""I could love you, you know." <--Great line."
05/26/2012
78.0% "OMG!! Is that wolf who I THINK it is?? Holy moley."
05/26/2012
78.0% "It IS!! (I thought I was smart, but I only figured it out one page before they told me.)" 1 comment
05/26/2012
100.0% "Definitely different from Firelight, but very good."
03/22/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Christen (Goldilox and Whimsify) Geez! So jelly of your good ARCs lately! :)

Katie Michaels I kind of lost all shreds of pride in my efforts to get this one.

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Lucky you! I've been keeping an eye out for this one.

Michelle Cummings I want this one!

Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club) I am super jealous of you right now. And I am sure it was worth whatever you had to do to get this book. I am not above stalking a publisher if it works.lol

Katie Michaels (*whispers*)...it was worth it...

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Wonderful review! :) I'm going to buy this one soon. Loved the first one in the series!

message 8: by jD (new)

jD Just so I am sure -- these books can be read independent of one another? Also, is this YA?

Katie Michaels Yes, they can. And no, they are definitely not YA.

Wendy Great review Jen! Looking forward to this one.

Christen (Goldilox and Whimsify) Um, if the first book is any indication they are definitely NOT YA. ;)

I am just starting this one but as with any series I would highly rec reading the first book first. The MC's are sisters and appear in each other's stories. Plus the love interest in this one is in the first book a lot.

Kenya Wright love this series!