Dr X's Reviews > God Is Dead

God Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr.

Oct 05, 2008

Read in October, 2008

I bought this book on a City Lights staff recommendation. I thought it would be one of those "funny" books without much of substance, and I read it to read something enjoyable after finishing a torturous novel. Unlike that book of similar length, this one flew by, and in fact, I didn't want it to end as quickly as it did.

It is a funny book, but is certainly not without substance. Comparisons to Vonnegut are appropriate, and that is no doubt partly why I liked it. This book contains a lot of absurdity, like God taking the form of a human woman who is then eaten by dogs who are then able to talk; like people turning to the worship of children to replace their dead God; like a full on physical, bloody war between the Postmodern Anthropologists and Evolutionary Psychologists. Great fun, but more importantly, beneath the silliness lurks all kinds of weighty issues. Why do people need God to give meaning to their lives? If they can't worship one god, will they create another? How do we find meaning to our actions and lives without some great hereafter? How does our capability for morality lead us to be both more and less moral than creatures without such a capability? Do we control our actions or our fate? Does it matter? In his private moments, does Colin Powell really say things like, "I'm black as night, motherfucker!"?

When I finished reading, I almost turned right around and read it again. I figure that's as good a recommendation as any.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Dead.