Erin's Reviews > Improper Relations

Improper Relations by Juliana Ross

May 25, 12

bookshelves: trashy-smutty-stuff
Read in May, 2012

I don't read too many novellas because usually I feel the characterizations are lacking--there are only so many pages to get the gist of a character. Mostly it's just plot plot plot. But I got an email from Netgalley about their new steamy books, and this one peaked my interest--I'm a sucker for historical romance. Just squeeze as much sex into 60 (kindle) pages as you can, writer!

*ahem* Anyhoo--I think this is juliana ross's first book, and you know what? It was pretty good! My issue with novellas is still my issue with novellas--I just don't think there are enough pages to get a good idea of who these characters are. but Ross does a good job with what she has. She kind of combines some elements of Jane Eyre with an element of Pride & Prejudice and then a bunch of sex. And frankly, that combo worked for me. In just a few pages I got where the characters came from, especially the down-on-her-luck Hannah, widowed, penniless, and working for her impervious rich aunt. No wonder she finds her cousin-by-marriage Leo a hot commodity. Ross doesn't waste time getting into the erotica aspect of the story, but like any good trashy read that I like, she weaves romance into the erotica. I need a little romance with my trash! Because of its novella status, the conclusion is wrapped up pretty quickly and Leo himself isn't really a 3D character, but all in all, it was an enjoyable and short read. A nice palate cleanser for some of the other stuff I've been reading, and it didn't piss me off like "Fifty shades of grey." I know, I'm easy to please. More of this kind of thing, please!

Read via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Improper Relations.