Alyson's Reviews > The Chemistry of Tears

The Chemistry of Tears by Peter Carey

May 31, 2012

liked it
Read from May 25 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

This may be a book worth rereading. I listened to this in my car which isn't always the best way to absorb the delicacies that can be found in good writing. I loved the portrayal of loss and grief in Catherine, the pervasive visceral emptiness and her attempt to find some kind of solid ground. If the skin truly has four million receptors it is a wonder that in the absence of familiar touch and skin to skin contact, Catherine unravelled only to the extent that she did. The museum provided her with enough stimulation to help her to keep on going. That world is familiar to me, those cavernous old spaces, and museum workers are a curious bunch. I liked all the characters in the current setting in the book, even though Amanda had me a little confused; it was going back to the Black Forest in Germany where I lost a little bit of interest. That can't be said, however, for the swan. Machine or not, even in pieces, that remains an awe inspiring beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chemistry of Tears.