laaaaames's Reviews > The Implosion of Aggie Winchester

The Implosion of Aggie Winchester by Lara Zielin

May 25, 12

Read in May, 2012

Firstly, I would like to state for the record that I would really like to read a book where a girl dresses crazily and dabbles in some extracurricular activities that aren't, perhaps, fully legal, where it's just part of her personality and not a sign of trouble or a concession to peer pressure.

Secondly, I had some huge plot issues with this book. Was cancer necessary? ("LAAAAAMES, IS CANCER *EVER* NECESSARY?" SHUT UP YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.) Was the prom stuff realistically insane or just insane insane? Did Fitz's appearance from the beginning on make him feel inevitable or was he really written that way? Did Jess seem too good to be true? (I was scared of her turning on Aggie the whole time.) Why did Aggie's realization about Neil happen when it did, when to me it seemed that's how he'd been for quite awhile?

But, man. Here's the thing: I'm not sure I've ever read a book that captured the feeling of being very purposefully left behind by a friend so well. I ached for Aggie even though it's not as if I didn't know she'd be better off without Sylvia. And whether or not I found the Neil realization dubious, I loved it. I loved Aggie's realization that she deserved better from people. I also thought the bass-fishing competition was a beautifully-written and heartbreaking scene.

Zielin's voice is just SO GOOD. Even when I was getting bored with prom I was dying to keep reading.

(read: 30)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Implosion of Aggie Winchester.