Jenn's Reviews > Hidden

F 50x66
May 25, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in May, 2012

As you’ve probably guessed from my participation in the Women of the Otherworld series challenge, I’m a big fan. Huge fan! I adore these books and think Kelley Armstrong is an exceptional author, which is why I shill out the big bucks when she releases a novella through Subterranean Press (even though I know it’ll come out as an e-novella eventually, though that wasn’t the case for the first couple when they were first released). I love how special they are and I always enjoy her writing so I figure it’s worth the extra money. Groceries are over-rated, right? (FYI: I have the bottom cover on mine but I wanted to show both because I love how both versions show Clay and Elena together, just changing who’s in wolf form.)

In any case, the most recent novella to come out is Hidden. Narrated by Elena, it takes place after the events in Frostbitten so you shouldn’t read it unless you’re at least that far in the series, unless you don’t mind the spoilers. (There are characters in Hidden who are introduced in Frostbitten and they reference events from that book.)

Elena and Clay have two main issues in Hidden: 1) what to do with the mutt they meet, and 2) whether or not they should tell their kids that they’re werewolves. You’d think it’d be a lot to squeeze into a novella but Kelley Armstrong’s done a fabulous job once again. The plot unfolds in a well-paced manner and there’s just enough story to be satisfying. I particularly enjoyed the Christmas backdrop since Christmas is a particularly special holiday for Elena and Clay. I also loved getting another glimpse into the Danvers/Michaels family dynamic and seeing how Kate and Logan are growing up.

I adore these Otherworld novellas because they give readers an extra glimpse into the lives of our favourite characters. It's such a delightful window into Elena and Clay's family and I loved it. I can only hope that Kelley Armstrong continues to write short stories and novellas now that she's wrapping up the series so that we can continue to visit our favourite characters in this amazing world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden.