Tima's Reviews > The Year of Magical Thinking

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Jun 23, 12

bookshelves: started-but-abandoned

I did not finish this book.

I wanted to like this book, really, I did. I think Ms. Didion has an extremely powerful story of grief and strength to tell. I just think that her writing style and I do not get along.

I got so tired of the endless references to other people's opinions, thoughts, studies and quotes on grief. It reads like a bibliography to a psych student's thesis.

Maybe I will return to this book again one day, if I come across it in a thrift store. Seeing as how someone thought it would be quite lovely if they ripped out 2 pages of the copy I own. Perhaps that contributed to my inability to move forward with this book. Perhaps, it just wasn't meant to be.

Harumph.

Favorite Quote:

"I did it all but it still did not bring him back"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Magical Thinking.

06/20/2012 page 34
06/22/2012 page 36
16.0% "This is my first exposure to Joan Didion, though I have heard much of her - referenced via other authors."
06/22/2012 page 43
19.0% "I'm not a huge fan of her writing style, it's very dry and hard to get wrapped up in. Regardless, her story is very interesting."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

☯Bettie☯

That's it! Out with the meh, in with the good. Life is just too short to mess with anything that isn't suiting.

:O)

message 2: by Tima (new) - added it

Tima Bettie, you could not have known my favorite show was Star Trek, what a perfect photo! =)

I've always struggled with the idea of not finishing a book, no matter how droll. I always force myself to finish. Then something clicked and I realized the world would keep spinning if I let a few books slip through the cracks ;0)