Sara ♥'s Reviews > Scary Beautiful

Scary Beautiful by Niki Burnham

Sep 23, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, 2009, challenge-fall-2009, romance, humor, 2017, contemporary
Read on July 21, 2017 , read count: 3

July 21, 2017

This book was SO CUTE!!! Like SERIOUSLY, it was a lot of girl drama about boys, but I REALLY enjoyed it. While I don't EXACTLY know what Chloe has to go through on a daily basis with people always judging her based on how beautiful she is, I appreciated the you-can't-judge-a-book-by-its-cover thing. And Billy (HORRIBLE NAME) was SUUUUUPER ADORABLE!!!! I ♥ Nerds....

Also about ALL THAT down there that I wrote previously. There IS a book where a girl falls in love with her math tutor, because I very distinctly remember reading that book. It is not, however, THIS book. Different book. I wish I knew which book that was, cuz I'd like to read it again......

September 22, 2009

I read this book, then read the review from when I added this book to goodreads, and went, "HUH??? Was I on heavy medication when I wrote this?" Previously, I had written that it's about a beautiful girl who falls in love with her math tutor. Ummm... try again, Sara!

So, what this book is about is a girl named Chloe, who is really beautiful and people make judgments about her based on that: that she's snotty, thinks she's too good for other people, etc., when in REALITY, she's just shy and wishes people would notice her for something OTHER than her looks for once! At the beginning of the book, her long-term boyfriend (Sean) has just broken up with her (he's moving cross-country) and she's devastated. But she realizes that so much of what she was before was just Sean's girlfriend, you know? She didn't have a complete identity of her own.

So the book is about her finding her very own niche, making new friends (like Billy, who is a cute nerd (PHYSICS, not math, and there's no tutoring involved)), and learning how to be happy just being herself, and not worrying so much about what other people think about her. It was really cute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scary Beautiful.

07/21 marked as: read

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks Sara. I'm going to give this one a try.

Sara ♥ FYI, my review is totally wrong. I think I might have been on something at the time! He's not even her math tutor!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) That's okay. I've had to revise reviews on books I read a long time ago. NO worries. I want to read this book regardless. Thanks.

Lisa Wait ... so is it about a math tutor or not??? Ha ha. ;)

Sara ♥ No, it's not. They have "independent study" period at the same time... she's studying Middle Eastern History and he's studying Advanced Physics! I know I read a book where a girl falls in love with her math tutor, but this was NOT it!

Lisa I was just giving you a hard time. I have totally done that with a few books and then I reread them later and am like, "Ummm, this isn't the same book" or "Wow, I totally read THAT wrong!" Haha.

If you figure out the math tutor book, let me know! I love math!

message 7: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 23, 2009 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara ♥ I'm trying to remember.... *goes and checks her bookshelf*

Oh! I think it was Smart Boys & Fast Girls by Stephie Davis.

"...then she [Natalie:] starts to fail geometry. She has to get a tutor.... A very cute boy who already has a girlfriend and has no interest in her." Yes, that sounds much more promising...

Sara ♥ Oh yay for this comment!!! Except I thought I owned that book and I don't seem to have it.... I'll have to look that one up at the library!