Emily's Reviews > Galápagos

Galápagos by Kurt Vonnegut

May 25, 12

Read in May, 2012

In this cautionary tale, Kurt Vonnegut tries to point out that a lot of mankind's problems would be solved if we didn't have such excessively large brains. Apparently, animals have the right idea, just eating and screwing and surviving their way through life. I disagree with this premise, because my large brain is essentially what allows me to read books by Kurt Vonnegut.
In order to hammer home his theory, Vonnegut has the ghost of Kilgore Trout's son Leon tell us about "The Nature Cruise of the Century" upon which many celebrities are supposed to travel to the Galapagos Islands. He does not tell the tale in a linear format, rather mentioning extremely important bits of information (what one might call spoilers if I were to mention them in this review) right at the very beginning, and then sort of filling in the details as we go along. His narrator is also very conversational in his first-person account of the events. He frequently divulges things in an aside that one might think are completely irrelevant, but turn out to be quite germane later on. Vonnegut is the inventor of the puzzle-book format, paving the way for those like Danielewski and Eichner, and he proves it with this work.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galápagos.