Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways's Reviews > Eros, Philia, Agape

May 25, 12

Read in May, 2012

EROS, PHILIA, AGAPE

Rating: 2* of five

Adriana's father messed with her, and so she's all messed up, and she's rich so she buys herself a sex-slave robot and has the manufacturers make him look like her father.

Yuck.

A MEMORY OF WIND

Rating: 2* of five

The story of Iphigenia, sacrificed by her father to Aphrodite, so the fleet carrying the Greeks could leave port. She has a very modern sensibility, does this Iphigenia, demanding the right to be happy and marry someone she loves.

This is codswallop. I doubt anyone goes to their death happily, but demanding things no woman of the time was likely even to conceptualize because it wasn't part of the universe they knew? Hm.

Oh, and Achilles is straight.

THE MONSTER'S MILLION FACES

Rating: 3* of five

In a future time, perdaughterkind is able to heal your emotional wounds by making new memories that, like all memories, are not "real" (an unhelpful construct when it comes to memory anyway) but feel real to the healed. This is done to begin healing from traumas inflicted in the course of being alive. Then, as one would expect, it's down to therapy to integrate the new memories into the patient's worldview and begin to make life work better for them.

Of course, the abuser is a man. The victim is, too. It's clear but never stated that the abuse was sexual. Frankly, I'm sick of this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eros, Philia, Agape.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David I dunno, I don't believe no one ever resented being chattel before we began formalizing objections to slavery.

That's kind of like saying no one thought genocide and rape was bad before modern people began classifying it as bad.

Even the oldest myths often praised good fathers as the ones who actually cared about their daughters' happiness, and many of the ancient tragedies revolved around foolish young lovers dying with an amour rather than being consigned to their socially-acceptable matches. So I think it's entirely possible a woman could conceptualize happiness and love, even if she didn't have much expectation that she was going to get it.

Pennie I just want to correct one thing as I too was originally worried; She gave the designers a picture of her father and said "Make it look nothing like him."