Sarah's Reviews > The Assassin and the Desert

The Assassin and the Desert by Sarah J. Maas

May 28, 12

bookshelves: books-i-own-kindle, read-in-2012
Read on May 28, 2012, read count: 1

The Assassin and the Desert is the second of four prequel novellas that are being released in the run up to the publication of Sarah J Maas' debut novel Throne of Glass in August. I've been dying to get my hands on the book for months now so I couldn't resist picking up the novellas while I was waiting.

This novella picks up the story about 2 months after the ending of The Assassin and the Pirate Lord. Celaena has been sent to the red desert to train with the sessiz suikast (the silent assassins) as a punishment for her actions in the first novella. She isn't happy about it but has accepted her fate and will do whatever it takes to get the Mute Master to give her the letter of recommendation that she needs to take back to Arobynn. When the silent assassins come under attack Celaena must try to uncover who is behind the plot and figure out a way to stop them.

I don't want to go into any more detail about the plot as it would be too easy to give spoilers but this was another great prequel to the Throne of Glass and one I'd definitely recommend. It was great to see another side to Celaena, one that is a little less sure of herself and a bit more vulnerable because she is outside her comfort zone. She is still a strong heroine though and I enjoyed watching her settle into her training and start to make friends. What I really enjoyed was discovering more of the world that Sarah J Maas has created. This is such a detailed world full of strange magical creatures and distant lands and I can't wait to explore it further. I did miss having Sam around in this novella but I'm hopeful we'll get to see more of him in the future. I'm looking forward to picking up the next two novellas but I really can't wait to get started on the full length book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Desert.