Marilyn Maya's Reviews > What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage

May 25, 12

Read in September, 2011

What looks like beautiful is an ordinary novel,

I was excited when I started reading this book. The author has a good voice, a beautiful voice, an honest voice. But that is all it is. The main character is well defined, strong and believable. The beginning is exciting and new. But then the plot. oh, the plot. so thin, so predictable, so boring. I knew from the first clue how the book would end. The other characters are one dimensional, either all good or all bad and did I say the plot was thin. ok, I did. The preacher and his wife come off like cartoon characters and the romantic lead man both too good and too bad to be true.
The book is well written. This is not a complement as all books should be well written and this writer has talent. She could have done much better. Her voice is the voice of a poet, a queen, a prophet, however novels are not easy to write and it is easy to use words to please yourself and not your readers. Who said "You must kill your darlings" oh William Faulkner. This is good advice for the author. She fell in love with her language. Hell, I fell in love with her language, her aura of truth, until I realized it was all a dream, so real you don't realize how false it is until you wake up: in this case toward the end of the book.
Yes, I finished it but I was angry and unsatisfied, like when you expected a toy for Xmas and were given socks or the ice cream you just ate was low sugar. Writing a novel is not easy. I would have loved this as a memoir. or a poem, but not a novel. At the end, there are truths about living a honest life in the moment but the author doesn't follow her own advice. I felt tricked. I wanted more. I expected more from such a talented woman. I guess I just expect a lot from novelists. Treat your readers with more respect. I am sorry if this is a harsh review because I didn't hate the book. I just wanted so much to love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day.