Dominique's Reviews > Play Their Hearts Out: A Coach, His Star Recruit, and the Youth Basketball Machine

Play Their Hearts Out by George Dohrmann

May 25, 12

** spoiler alert ** Top secret information from me to you: here in this town where I live, ESPN Radio comes in a lot more clearly than our local NPR station. I listen to ESPN radio a lot. I heard Dohrmann interviewed on the radio and then I read an excerpt from this book in Sports Illustrated and I wanted to know more. If you want to know how messed up the state of youth sports, particularly basketball, is in the United States and how it's destroying promising youths, this is the book for you. I found myself really wanting to skim through some of the boring play by play of particular games, but overall, it's a book about ambitious people screwing with lives. Dohrmann deserves a lot of credit for following these kids for so long and writing a riveting book, a book that is indeed riveting even if you don't care about the game of basketball.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Their Hearts Out.