bup's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Jan 05, 09

bookshelves: audiobook, 2009, novel
Read in January, 2009

I guess it's ridiculous to give this 5 stars, when I give something like "Tale of Two Cities" four, and "The Idiot" two, but man, I had a good time with this book.

The good people do good stuff. The bad people do bad stuff. The good people are good looking. The bad people are bad looking. The good people overcome obstacles. The bad people stumble although given an easy ride. There's lurid sex and heroic battles and Snidely scheming and Whiplashy mustache twirling. Goofus double crosses. Gallant is true blue.

It's a fun ride.

On top of that, there's a modicum of actual history. I know now that King Stephen's (I know now that England had a King Stephen) reign was almost entirely marked by civil war, with Queen Maud trying to gain England as her own. I know that Stephen and Maud's fighting ended when they agreed Maud's son Henry would succeed, to become the very good king Henry II (although he did have that little problem with Thomas Becket).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.